September is National Preparedness Month, and across the country, many of our local communities are feeling the devastating effects of natural disasters – from wildfires on the West coast to Hurricane Ida and other tropical storms hitting the Gulf and East coasts. Both humans and animals have been or will be displaced, need transportation, medical care, or other critical assistance in the wake of these disasters.
That’s why we’re announcing that VCA Charities and VCA are partnering to raise funds for disaster relief. Now through October 15th, VCA will match donations made to VCA Charities up to $50,000, doubling the impact we can make together! You can help us enable $100,000 or more in response to local disasters.
Funds donated to VCA Charities up to $50,000 will be matched by VCA and will go toward VCA Charities supporting animal welfare organizations, shelters and nonprofit partners responding to and managing disasters.
Disaster relief funding will be made based on the individual needs of the organizations, the type of disaster response work and the number of pets impacted. VCA Charities is committed to helping maximum impact for pets, pet owners and the organizations that support them.
There are a few ways you can get help:
- Donate to VCA Charities at any VCA Animal Hospital during your next visit or over the phone. Find your nearest hospital here.
- Purchase Woof hats at your local VCA and 100% of your purchase will go to VCA Charities (while supplies last).
- Donate to VCA Charities directly by clicking the “Make a Donation” button above.
- Donate via text, by texting “GIVE” to 213-325-1919.
- Make a gift by mail – send checks to VCA Charities: 12401 W. Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064.
- Donate to VCA Charities while shopping on AmazonSmile by clicking here.
We hope you’ll support this worthy cause. Every donation is greatly appreciated!
We also encourage you to check back in the coming weeks as we share stories of impact and pets we’ve helped. Be sure to follow us on Instagram (@vcacharities) for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will VCA Charities determine who will receive an award?
To be considered for disaster relief funding, nonprofit organizations must meet these guidelines for eligibility:
- Nonprofit or governmental agency with an animal welfare mission or a direct relationship with an animal welfare organization.
- Have been directly affected by a recent disaster or emergency situation and/or are assisting in an affected area.
What can these funds be used for?
Disaster relief funds awarded by VCA Charities can be used for:
- Medical supplies and veterinary care treatment for pets.
- Pet food and pet supplies, including crates, etc.
- Temporary shelter or boarding costs for rescued or at-risk pets.
- Other immediately needed materials including cleaning supplies, tarps, bedding, blankets, etc. to keep pets safe and comfortable.
- Transportation costs to rescue or relocate pets.
- Other expenses related to providing temporary shelter for rescued pets including overtime salaries, rental equipment or facilities, cleanup costs, etc.
- Reimbursement up to three months post-disaster for expenses incurred and related to the above.
The funds cannot help with:
- Requests related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Hoarding or abuse cases.
- Feral populations.
- Programs solely dedicated to equine/livestock/wildlife assistance.